Ah, fuckboys. With their chinos, and their Tinder profiles, and their inability to put a label on your relationship… I tend to treat it quite simply: if it look like a duck, and it quack like a duck, it prolly a duck.
But it can be hard to tell in the beginning of a relationship if your man is a fuckboy because it’s so easy to get swept up in the romance of late night “what would you be doing if I was there” texts (eye roll).
If you think you might be dealing with a fuckboy, here’s a simple checklist of 10 signs to watch out for.
- The ball is always in your court and he makes you come to him. He asks you to hang out but instead of making plans he says “let me know when you’re free”, or he makes plans with you but then doesn’t follow up the day of and when you text him he acts like it’s your idea
- You can’t be “boyfriend and girlfriend” because he “doesn’t like labels”
- He’s always texting when you’re together and yet it takes him about eight years to reply to you when he’s out with his friends
- He never calls your relationship a “secret” but he doesn’t post online about it or do anything public and he doesn’t like it when you do either
- He won’t take a photo with you
- He doesn’t want you to meet his friends or hang out with them as a group
- When you’re out together and you bump into someone he knows, he doesn’t introduce you (or if he does, he doesn’t introduce you as his girlfriend)
- He disappears for several days at a time and won’t answer your messages and then slides back in like nothing happened and won’t acknowledge that he ignored you for, like, three whole days
- He doesn’t like it when you go out without him but he goes out without you pretty much every weekend
- He bitches about his female friends and ex-girlfriends (does “she’s crazy” sound familiar?) to discourage you from making friends with them (probably because he’s seeing them, too)
If you related to some or all of these signs, I’m sorry but your man is probably a fuckboy. It’s up to you now if you want to pursue the relationship, but personally, I have one simple rule when it comes to fuckboys and it’s don’t.