It feels like just yesterday that I was walking back to my hotel from IMATS with my loot bag in tow, feeling exhausted but happy and already excited for the next one – even though it seemed so far away. Surprise, bitch. IMATS Sydney 2017 is this weekend, so I felt like it was time for a refresher course on what to expect if this is your first time.
- Wear flat shoes and short sleeves (for swatching) but bring a light jumper because the room is big and drafty
- Bring a bag (for all your purchases, holding many shopping bags is less comfortable than it looks in the movies and you want your hands free) and inside that bag, you’ll want your own makeup wipes and tissues
- Bring a snack and some water, nobody likes you when you’re hungry, tired and cranky
- Bring CASH – lots and lots of cash (I spent just over AU$500 and all of it was cash, nobody takes card)
- Get there about half an hour to an hour early if you want to be among the first in line, have your ticket and ID ready
- If you are going to go to one of the big ticket booths (like MAC or Nyx that have big lines) pick one and go there immediately. The lines for these stalls were so long, I honestly didn’t even bother.
- Watch some of the demonstrations – even if you’re only there for the shopping! You just might learn something.
- If you’re going with a friend, make an arrangement to split up if you want to go to different stalls. You don’t wanna miss out on getting what you want because your friend just had to stop and swatch 800 identical lipsticks.
I hope that this helps! If you guys have any tips of your own, I’d love to hear them!