Looking back over my lifetime as a makeup purchaser, I can put my hand up and solemnly swear that I have bought some Dumb Shit. For example, I bought a $30 blue kohl pencil and only wore it twice because… bright blue kohl??? Then there was that time I bought a very expensive moisturiser in a tiny jar because it smelled nice, but it didn’t have any special qualities that you can’t find in a tub of Olay cream.
I’d like to save you guys the hassle and money by letting you in on a little secret. There are some products you just do not need, ever. These are products which exist purely as a money suck.
1. Toner – You’ve probably been using toner ever since you hit puberty and your mum bought you that Nivea three step set (you know the one I’m talking about). But it really doesn’t do anything for your skin. Water is perfectly capable of removing the last traces of your cleanser, your skin will pH balance itself, and it is physically impossible for it to “close” your pores. Save your money.
2. Anti-cellulite cream – there is just no evidence that they work. A topical cream cannot get through multiple layers of skin and into the fat underneath. You’d be better off getting a tan and learning to love yourself.
3. Eye creams – If you have really sensitive eyes, by all means, use a special cream to save yourself the stinging. But for the majority, your normal facial cream is perfect for the job and usually quite a lot cheaper. Just make sure that you pat the cream in rather than rub, as the delicate skin around your eyes is more prone to wrinkling.
4. Pore strips or peel-off masks – I know they sit right in that sweet spot between pain and pleasure, and it’s cool to see all the gunk coming off your face, but please for the love of your skin put them away. These products will actually do more damage to your skin in the long run. They strip off healthy skin cells and oils, they can cause spider veins and broken capillaries, and to top it all off they don’t get rid of blackheads – they just remove the top layer and leave the rest of the blackhead safe inside your pore. Using these strips will come back to haunt you. Do I need to continue?
5. Brow gel – I feel a bit sheepish about this one as I only recently bought myself a lovely expensive brow gel, but realistically it’s just clear hair gel in a tube with a mascara wand. If you are gonna buy one, make it a cheapy – or better yet, just steal some of your boyfriend’s hair gel and use a disposable spoolie.
If you guys have any other products you’d like to add to this list, leave me a comment below!
As always, this post is entirely my own opinion. I do not represent anyone or anything and everything I have written here I believe to be true.